Matching (MAT) questions require respondents to choose from a set of possible match choices from drop-down lists and correctly pair them with related items. This question type enables you to assess users’ recognition of information and demonstrate comprehension of specific relationships.
Create a matching question
- Enter a Title. Enter a Points value. Select a difficulty level in the Difficulty drop-down list.
- Enter your MAT question in the Question Text field.
- Click Add a File to upload an image to accompany your question. You can enter a description of the image in the Description field.
- Choose a Grading format:
- Equally weighted The total points value is divided equally among all possible correct matches. Users receive equally weighted points for each correct answer.
- All or nothing Users receive the total points value for correctly matching every answer or else they receive none at all.
- Right minus wrong Users receive points equal to the number of right answers they choose minus the number of incorrect answers they choose. To determine how much each answer is worth, the system takes the total number of points assigned to the question and divides it by the total number of answer choices.Example If a question is worth 10 points and has 5 answer choices, each correct answer is worth 2 points, and each incorrect answer is worth 2 points (10/5 = 2). If a user gives 3 correct answers and 2 incorrect answers, 2 is the total number of points received for the question [(3-2)*2 = 2].
Note Users can receive a minimum of zero on a question: they cannot receive a negative mark.
- Click Add Choice to create more answer choices. Enter an answer choice in each choice Value field.
- Click Add Match to create more matches. Enter a match choice in each match Value field.
- Select the corresponding choice number in the Correct Choice drop-down list next to a match value. This creates a matched pair.
- To reduce the number of choices and matches available in your MAT question, click the corresponding Remove Option icon.
- Provide comments and suggestions in the Question Hint and Question Feedback fields.
- Click Preview to view your question. Users select their match choices from the drop-down list.
- Click Save to return to the main page, click Save and Copy to save and create another MAT question that retains the copied properties, or click Save and New to continue creating new MAT questions.
Copyright © 1999-2014 Desire2Learn Incorporated. All rights reserved.
- Question Library basics
- Question types
- Understanding regular expressions
- Creating true or false questions
- Creating multiple choice questions
- Creating multi-select questions
- Creating long answer questions
- Creating short answer questions
- Creating multi-short answer questions
- Creating fill in the blanks questions
- Creating matching questions
- Creating ordering questions
- Creating arithmetic questions
- Creating significant figures questions
- Creating Likert questions
- Creating text information
- Creating image information