Locking a topic prevents users from creating new posts or modifying existing posts, essentially making the conversation “read only”. Users with permission can modify the contents of a locked topic. Locking a topic is an effective way of closing a conversation while allowing users to refer back to posts.
You can specify start and end dates for when a forum or topic unlocks so you can set things up ahead of time to match your course’s calendar.
Tip Consider locking a topic to end a conversation, then using a pinned summary post inside the topic. When users access the topic, your summary appears at the top.
Lock a forum or topic
- On the Discussions List page, click Edit from the context menu of the forum or topic you want to hide. You can also set visibility options when creating a new forum or topic.
- In the Locking Options section of the Properties tab, select the options you want:
- To lock the forum or topic immediately, select Lock forum or Lock topic. The forum or topic remains locked until you select Unlock forum or Unlock topic again.
- To open the forum or topic within a date range, select Unlock forum for a specific date range or Unlock topic for a specific date range, then select Has Start Date or Has End Date to specify the dates.
- Click Save.
Copyright © 1999-2014 Desire2Learn Incorporated. All rights reserved.
- Participating in discussions
- Following discussions
- Creating and managing discussions
- Creating discussion forums and topics
- Discussion forum and topic restrictions
- Topic assessment
- Topic objectives
- Editing a discussion forum or topic
- Copying a discussion forum, topic, thread, or post
- Deleting discussion forums, topics, threads, and posts
- Reordering discussion forums and topics
- Restoring a deleted discussion forum, topic, thread, or post
- Monitoring discussions