Quiz question types
Question types available to the Quizzes tool are similar to the questions available in the Self Assessments and Surveys tools (except Likert questions). Quizzes can contain the following question types:
- True or False (T/F)
- Multiple Choice (M/C)
- Multi-Select (M-S)
- Long Answer (LA)
- Short Answer (SA)
- Multi-Short Answer (MSA)
- Fill in the Blanks (FIB)
- Matching (MAT)
- Ordering (ORD)
- Arithmetic (2+2)
- Significant Figures (x10)
You can also create the following information items:
See Creating bonus quiz questions for information about creating bonus quiz questions.
Create a quiz question or an information item
Tip: As a best practice, we recommend that you create all quiz questions within the Question Library. This enables you to reuse questions in various quizzes, surveys, and self assessments.
- Do one of the following:
- On the Manage Quizzes page, click Question Library from the tool navigation. Questions in the Question Library are shared between Self Assessments, Quizzes, and Surveys.
- While editing or creating a quiz, click Add/Edit Questions in the Properties tab.
- In the Question Library or the Add/Edit Questions area of the Quizzes tool, select the question type or information item you want to create from the New button.
Quiz feedback and hints
All quiz question types allow you to include feedback and hints. Students will see your “feedback” after they’ve taken a quiz. Use Feedback to help them understand why they got a question wrong, congratulate them on answering a question correctly, or provide some other follow-up information. Students see “hints” while they are taking the quiz. You can use a hint to suggest how to approach a question.
Add and enable feedback
There are two kinds of feedback for questions. In multiple choice questions, you can add feedback for each answer in the box just to the right of the answer. A student will only see the feedback for the answer he selects. You may also add feedback for the whole question that everyone will see regardless of the answers they chose.
If you have both feedback for individual answers and for the whole question, students will see both kinds of feedback when they view their attempts.
Important: Students will NOT see your feedback unless you choose a submission view that allows them to see their responses.
To enable students to see feedback…
- Go to Quizzes and Exams and click the name of the quiz you want to edit.
- Click the “Submission Views” tab near the top of the page.
- Click the blue “Default View” link.
- Under “View Details,” where it says “Show Questions,” select “Yes.”
- Then select “Show all questions with user responses.”
- Then click “Save.”
Copyright © 1999-2014 Desire2Learn Incorporated. All rights reserved.
- Using Quizzes
- Creating quizzes
- Accessing Question Library
- Creating quiz questions
- Creating bonus quiz questions
- Previewing quizzes
- Editing quizzes
- Reordering quizzes
- Copying quizzes
- Deleting quizzes
- Creating quiz sections
- Creating random sections in quizzes
- Creating quiz categories
- Editing a quiz category
- Reordering quiz categories
- Deleting a quiz category
- Grading a quiz
- Managing quiz questions and sections
- Viewing quizzes