There are three parts to making this happen:
- Make sure the calculations are set correctly.
- Make sure the settings will display the results to you and your students.
- Release the calculated grade to your students.
- Go to “Grades” and click the “Settings” link near the top right of the screen.
- Near the top of the “Settings” screen, click the “Calculation Options” tab.
- On the “Calculation Options” screen, under “Final Grade Released,” check “Calculated Final Grade.” (You will change this to “Adjusted Final Grade” at the end of the semester if you want to export grades from Pilot to Banner.)
- For “Ungraded Items,” choose “Drop ungraded items.” (Otherwise, any grade items you have not yet used will be counted as 0 and included in the calculation. That can cause mass panic among your students.) Please keep in mind that with this option checked, if a student did not complete an assignment that has already been graded you will need to enter a zero and not just leave the grade blank. A blank will be dropped and the final grade will be effected.
- At the bottom of the screen, check “Automatically keep final grades updated” and click “Save.”
- Still in “Settings,” click the “Personal Display Options” tab at the top.
- Under “Grade Details,” select at least “Points grade” and “Grade scheme symbol.” (Other boxes, such as “Grade scheme color” are optional.) “Save.”
- Click the tab labeled “Org Unit Display Options.”
- Under “Student View Display Options,” once again select at least “Points grade” and “Grade scheme symbol.” (By default the “symbol” will be the percentage grade. But your grade scheme could display something else, such as letter grades.)
- Save and close.
- Finally, once again click “Grades.”
- Next to “Final Calculated Grade,” click the little triangle and choose either “Enter Grades.”
- On the next screen, click the triangle next to the “Final Grades” heading at the top of the page and choose “Release All.” When asked if you are sure, click “Yes” to continue.
- Then all the boxes should be checked in the “Release Final Calculated Grade” column.
- Click “Save and Close” to return to “Grades.”
Check Your Work
- You can use a Demo Student to see what your students will see. If you have not yet created a demo student, click “Classlist,” then click “Create a Demo Student.” When you finish creating your demo student, you will find yourself at your Classlist.
- You may want to put some values in the demo student’s Grade items next so you will see more than just zeros.
- Back in your Classlist, find your demo student whose name will be “ZZStudent, ZZDemo.”
- Click the triangle next to your demo student’s name and choose “Impersonate,” then confirm that that is what you want to do.
- You can now click “Grades” and see what a student will see.
- After you have viewed your course through your demo student’s eyes, click the demo student’s name in the top right of your screen. Then click the “X” to stop impersonating the demo student and return to your faculty role in the course.