Use categories to organize and manage related groups. For example, you can have a category for Assignment 1, Assignment 2, Seminars, Remedial Help, and Book Reviews.
If you want to create a new set of groups, you need to set up a category and create restricted work areas for the groups first.
Create a group category
- On the Manage Groups page, which is found under Communication on the course navigation bar, click New Category Folder.
- Enter a Category Name and Description.
- Select an Enrollment Type from the drop-down list. See Group enrollment types for more information.
- Depending on the chosen Enrollment Type, enter the Number of Groups to create, the Number of Users per group, or both.
- Depending on the chosen Enrollment Type, select Auto-enroll new users to automatically enroll users to groups.
- Depending on the chosen Enrollment Type, select Randomize users in groups to randomly place users in groups. If you do not choose this option, users are placed alphabetically based on the classlist.
- Select Set up discussion areas if you want to associate discussion areas with the groups in the category.
- Select Set up lockers if you want to associate locker areas with the groups in the category.
- Select Set up dropbox folders if you want to associate assignments with the groups in the category.
- Click Save.
The Manage Groups page lists how many groups, discussion forums, lockers, and dropbox folders were created for the category.
Copyright © 1999-2014 Desire2Learn Incorporated. All rights reserved.
- Groups basics
- Managing groups and group categories
- Creating a group category
- Creating group restricted discussion areas
- Creating group restricted dropbox folders
- Creating group restricted locker areas
- Creating a group
- Creating a new group after enrolling users
- Advanced properties and additional options when setting up groups
- Editing groups and group categories
- Deleting groups and group categories
- Managing group enrollments