Lecture Recording and Live Online Meetings
Record lectures and have live web conferences through applications that you access through Pilot.
Panopto for Lecture Capture and Video Hosting
Add narration to PowerPoint to make video that learners watch at their convenience. In addition to slides, you can record any application, including your whole desktop. Also, you can record video of yourself or anything your camera captures.
Panopto is integrated with Pilot. When you record video, it’s automatically available in your course.
You can even upload existing video from your computer. Panopto serves as a YouTube-like platform that’s password protected for course videos.
Video: Panopto Overview
Collaborate for Live Online Class Meetings
Meet with students live online through Pilot using Collaborate Ultra. Narrate a slide show, share a white board that you and your students can draw on, use break-out rooms for small group discussions, and much more.
It can be found in the Communication Menu and when you select it, there is a ready to use virtual live classroom (named the Course Room) at the top of the screen and you (and your students) just click on it to enter it. If desired, shortcut/link can be added into Content in Pilot as well. Just choose Add Existing Activities from any existing module, then choose External Learning tools and then Collaborate Ultra.
Here are links with more detailed information:
Video: Blackboard Collaborate Overview
The Cisco Webex Education Connector is an external learning tool in Pilot that is used for conducting classes in a live virtual classroom. This tool can be used to schedule virtual class meetings, promote online group work, and to schedule virtual office hours using Cisco Webex Meetings.
While Webex is compatible with most browsers, we strongly recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. The links to download these web browsers are found below:
How to Add the Webex Education Connector to Pilot
To utilize the Webex Education Connector in your course, you must add the Webex External Learning Tool in Pilot by going to your Content tab and creating a module. We suggest creating a module labeled, “Webex” or “Class Meeting.” This makes the link easy to find for the students.
Once you have created a module for your Webex Education Connector, you will go into that module and click on the gray button labeled Add Existing Activities and select External Learning Tools.
This action will open a small window with all the External Learning Tools that are offered in Pilot. You will scroll all the way to the bottom of the list and click on Webex.
After selecting Webex, it will populate in your chosen module as a link for both you and your students to access.
Setting up your Webex Education Connector
To customize your preferences in the Webex Education Connector, click on the Webex link in your Content module. If this is the first time you have accessed the tool, it will automatically take you to the Setup tab.
In the Setup tab, you can customize the following Webex Education Connector preferences:
- Choose your features: Classroom Collaboration, Virtual Meetings, and Office Hours are all disabled by default. Check the features that you want to be available for your course and select Apply. Then, each feature you selected appears as its own tab.
- Time Zone: Regardless of your location while teaching the course, the Time Zone for the course should be set at GMT-4:00, Eastern (New York). Once you’ve ensured this time zone has been set correctly, click on the blue Save
- Authorize with LMS: Authorize the Webex Education Connector before you start to use its features. Enter the same credentials you use to sign in. If this button is blue, you will need to authorize. If this button is gray, it has already been done.
- Webex Meetings Attendance Grading: You can award participation points to students automatically when they attend a meeting or class using the Webex Education Connector. This sets up a grade item in your Gradebook in Pilot. If you would like to turn on attendance grading, select the blue button labeled Turn on.
- Reminder Bot: The Reminder Bot posts a message into the Webex Teams space (Classroom Collaboration) before a Webex meeting is about to start for that class or meeting. Select Turn On and select the amount of time before your class you would like the reminder to be sent.
Support Links for Instructors
Support Links for Students