Basics of creating a quiz
Creating quizzes for your course involves two basic steps. Each of these steps is described in greater detail below. The basic steps are
- Create your quiz questions. You can create questions in either the Question Library (recommended) or within the quiz. You can also import properly formatted questions from Respondus, a quiz generating software package.
- Create a quiz. Create a quiz by defining a quiz name and general properties, establishing the quiz restrictions, setting the quiz attempts, creating the submission views and quiz reports, populating the quiz with questions, and setting up the quiz layout.
Create Quiz Questions
It is strongly recommended that you create all your quiz questions from within the Question Library. This gives you the ability to reuse questions on various quizzes and to create random sections within quizzes.
- Click the Quizzes and Exams link under the Assessment tab on the course navigation bar.
- On the next screen, click the Question Library tab and the Question Library page displays.
- Select the applicable question type from the Create New drop-down.
Common features among all quiz question types
The following features apply to all question types in the quizzes tool:
- All question types have an optional Title field. If you do not enter a title, the system will take the full question text and enter it as the title. The title is only displayed in the quiz tool and not to users taking the quiz.
- All question types give the option of indicating a Difficulty level. Difficulty levels do not display to the students, but they provide an opportunity to sort questions, regardless of type, by a difficulty level.
- Many question types give you the option of inserting an image. Click the Insert an Image button to insert an image.
- All question types provide an opportunity to enter feedback information and question hints.
- All question types offer a Preview.
- Once a question is created, click Save to save the question and return to the main page; Save and Copy to save the question and create a new question of the same type that retains the copied properties; or, click Save and New to continue creating questions of the same type.
Create a Quiz
- Click on the down arrow for the Assessment tab on the course Navigation bar and select the Quizzes and Exams link.
- When the Manage Quizzes page appears, click on the “New Quiz” tab.
- When the new quiz page appears, enter a Name for the quiz and then select Add/Edit Questions
- On the next screen, click on the “Import” tab. On the Import screen, there will be three pull-down menus. On the first menu, leave the Import Source as “From an Existing Collection.” From the Source Selection pull-down menu, select “Question Library.” On the third menu, Source Section, select “Root Collection” to see all of the Question Library or select an individual folder.
- The questions in the Question Library should now appear underneath the selection menus and you can select the questions you want to add to the quiz and then click Save.
- Once the questions have been added to the quiz, you can edit any of them by clicking on the question title. You can change the point values of any questions by clicking on the Edit Values tab. Again, if any changes are made be sure to click on Save.
- Next, click on the Restrictions tab to advance to the next screen.
- On the Restrictions page, select start and end dates if you want to make the quiz available during a specific time. You may also set a separate Due Date. Assignments submitted after the Due Date will be flagged as late.
- On the Restrictions page, you can also select the Timing for the quiz to indicate how long the students will have once they start. Please note that a Grace Period has to be set, but it can be as short as a minute or as long as you wish.
- At the top of the Restrictions page is a checkbox to hide the quiz from users. You must uncheck that box for students to see the quiz. But you may want to leave it checked while you work on the quiz.
- There are other options on the Restrictions page that you can set (Security Options, Optional Advanced Restrictions, etc.) and once you are finished, click on Save Quiz and then you can advance to the next tab, Assessment.
- Under the Assessment tab, you can associate the quiz with an item in the Grades. You can either select the grade item from the pull-down menu (if you already have your Grades area complete) or you can click on the “add grade item” link to create a new Grade item.
- If you have the quiz associated with a grade item, you can check the box to “allow automatic export to grades” to have the students’ grades sent to the Grades tool after they complete the quiz.
- You can also check the box to “allow attempt to be set as graded immediately upon completion” if you want the quiz to grade automatically.
- The final option under Assessments is to select how many attempts the students will have for the quiz and, if more than one, choose the grade calculation option. Click Save Quiz when you have made your choices and then proceed to the Submission Views tab.
Submission Views: What Students See After They Submit the Quiz
- Under the Submissions Views tab, you can change the Default submission view if you wish (the default submission view is to release just the score for the quiz to the students). If you want the students to see the questions, correct answers, etc., you need to click on the “Default View” link and change the settings accordingly. Click on Save View to save the changes.
- You may also create an additional view. It will override the default view at the time you choose. Many faculty use an additional view to let students see what they got wrong only after the quiz has closed.