“Topics” in Pilot are where discussions take place. No topic, no discussion. Each topic must be in a forum. You can put as many topics in a forum as you like.
To create a new topic, do one of the following.
- When you create a new forum, there is a checkbox to “Create a new topic in this forum with the same title.” With that checked, you will create a topic in your forum automatically.
- Go to “Discussions,” click the “New” button and choose “New Topic.” You will be able to choose what forum to place the topic in. (Details Below)
- When viewing the “Discussions” page, click the downward-pointing arrow next to a forum’s name. Choose “Add Topic.”
- In “Content,” click “New” and choose “New Discussion.”
- When you create groups, you can choose to have a topic created for each group.
Create a New Topic
- On the Discussions List page, click New Topic from the New button.
- Select the Forum you want to place your topic in from the drop-down list. Click New Forum if you want to create a new forum for your topic.
- Enter a Title and Description for your topic.
- In the Options section:
- If you want to enable anonymous posting to the topic, select the Allow anonymous posts check box
- Note You cannot evaluate anonymous posts.
- Select the A moderator must approve individual posts before they display in the forum check box to require moderators approve posts before they appear in the topic.
- Select the Users must start a thread before they can read and reply to other threads check box if you want users to start a thread before they can read and respond to other threads in the topic.
- Select a Visibility option for your topic. Note If you select Topic is visible for a specific date range, select the Has Start Date and Has End Date check boxes to set your availability. You can also have dates Display in Calendar.
- Select topic Locking Options:
- Select Lock topic to the lock the forum when it is created. It remains locked until you select Unlock topic.
- Select Unlock topic for a specific date range to open the topic within a date range. Select the Has Start Date and Has End Date check boxes to set your topic availability.
- Click Save and Close or Save and New.